Medical technology companies can draw strong support from a base of electronics and precision engineering industry built up since the 1980s in Singapore. The country is already a global manufacturing site for many of the top medical technology companies such as Applied Biosystems, Baxter, BD and Siemens Medical Instruments.
Key support available to companies includes:
* Contract manufacturing services offered by more than 50 companies to medical devices and equipment companies. Some companies build only components and sub-assemblies while others manufacture the final product for OEMs
* Reverse logistics services provided by logistics companies including the repair and refurbishment of medical equipment
* Sterilization services for those medical technology companies that outsource sterilization so as to focus on manufacturing
Singapore’s technical strengths in supporting Medical Technology manufacturing include:
* precision engineering of materials such as plastic, rubber, silicon and metal
* mold design & tooling
* designing & building industrial automation equipment & systems and providing automation solutions
* electronic components such as integrated circuits, connectors, optics, PCBAs, cables & wirings, power supplies, displays, resistors, capacitors, PC hardware, etc
* software development
Many of the local contract manufacturers in Singapore are listed, and have a long track record serving the precision industries such as the Hard Disk Drive (HDD), consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace sectors. To meet the stringent requirements characterized by these sectors, Singapore companies have developed design capabilities and high quality production processes which helped them to easily migrate into the medical technology sector.
Some homegrown Singapore contract manufacturers, such as Beyonics and Venture, are large enterprises which have manufacturing locations in other Asian countries e.g. China, Malaysia, Indonesia. They thus have a clear understanding of the region and are able to source from the region for their Medical Technology clients.
Singapore is the preferred base for global Medical Device companies in Asia
In terms of general support, Singapore offers the best logistics and supply chain management capabilities in Asia. Leading international and local third party logistics providers offer increasingly sophisticated supply chain management solutions, ranging from freight transportation and materials management to integrated and value-added logistics services. Many MNCs have already leveraged on these integrated and value-added offerings to their strategic advantage.
Backing its reputation of having a world-class infrastructure is a combination of extensive air and sea linkages and port coverage and facilities dedicated to logistics, specifically:
Singapore with its reputation for having a world-class infrastructure
* An airport internationally acclaimed to one of the leading airports in the world – the Singapore Changi Airport
* The Changi Freight Centre, a one-stop service centre that provides essential facilities, sophisticated handling systems and integrated services for air cargo handling, to enable cargo to be loaded and discharged at any time of the day.
* A complete air linkage that connects you from Singapore to 149 cities in 50 countries on some 3,200 weekly scheduled flights
* A vibrant international maritime centre located at the crossroads of major shipping centres
* The Airport Logistics Park of Singapore, a 26 hectare Free Trade Zone whereby Third Party Logistics Services Providers can carry out time sensitive and value-adding logistics activities
The 80-hectare Chemical Logistics Hub on Jurong Island called Banyan Logistics Hub, where you can find specialist capabilities that support the fast growing needs of chemical manufacturers.
To catalyze the growth of the manufacturing industry and logistics service providers, the Logistics Institute – Asia Pacific (TLI-AP), modeled after the renowned institute in Georgia Tech, was set up as a research cum education institution of higher learning. It is dedicated to providing logistics expertise to meet the rapidly evolving needs of the industry including information technology, industrial engineering and supply chain management.